Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Capital Campaign Date

2015 KatFans.com Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KatAlum12 View Post
    This doesn’t surprise me. Talking to a few of my alum friends, I was the only one that had pledged money. The culture of donating to advance the university’s future just doesn’t exist at SHSU like it does elsewhere.
    Sad thing is the younger generation seems to be far more inclined to do so than someone in my age group would be. At least when you look at the membership in Century Club and Life Membership in the Alumni Association,the numbers for the classes that are post 2000 are fairly strong as opposed to those are earlier.

I am just speculating here, but I suspect that follows through in giving to the U. in other areas as well.
    Last edited by Dr. OldKat; 01-29-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

DOK...I haven't heard anymore about it since it was "announced". So it may be a marketing problem. NO BUZZ! But with the state of affairs in the Oil and Gas Industry the last few years, it doesn't surprise me. That should be turning around a bit this year. You have to stay on top of programs like this or they will level off and plateau on you. Fundraising is hard work...you can't let up until the momentum is sustainable for a breather. My take on The Hill and now administration...you have to find the right minded people to do this job.

Quote Originally Posted by DHKat2 View Post
    DOK...I haven't heard anymore about it since it was "announced". So it may be a marketing problem. NO BUZZ! But with the state of affairs in the Oil and Gas Industry the last few years, it doesn't surprise me. That should be turning around a bit this year. You have to stay on top of programs like this or they will level off and plateau on you. Fundraising is hard work...you can't let up until the momentum is sustainable for a breather. My take on The Hill and now administration...you have to find the right minded people to do this job.
    This past Wednesday Mrs. OldKat wanted to go to Huntsville, "just because". After a visit to Raven's Nest, B&N Books at the LSC and Barefoot for "something" for her (and me) to wear to the Kats baseball games this Spring, we made a lunch stop at the City Hall Cafe for lunch.

When we were leaving I noticed a stack of The Houstonian newspapers on a counter and snagged one, just to read about the upcoming changes to campus traffic flow. Namely, almost all of the streets that don't dead end into the campus will be one way in a somewhat clockwise fashion, with the exception of the southwest corner of the campus; (being the Art Complex, Pirkle Building, Forensic Science/Chemistry etc) ...the street between them and the rest of the campus will be one way counter clockwise flowing east until it turns right 90 degrees, then south back to Sam Houston Avenue.

Another little bit of news is that the massive expansion of the LSC will include a pub. AN ON CAMPUS PUB AT SHSU! Who said nothing ever changes in Huntsville? Now, will the students be mature enough to NOT get this thing shut down right off the bat? I'm not taking any bets either way.

The biggest news is in the Capital Campaign though. According to an article in this paper, the CC stands at $85M of the $125M target as of the 1 year mark (out of 5 year planned campaign). My initial thought was that the CC was doing much better than I had been lead to believe as that figure is slightly better than 2/3rds the way to the goal in only 12 months. In fact, it very well MAY actually be doing better than I had understood; perhaps I misunderstood the person I had talked to, or, perhaps he was only referencing how the campaign was progressing as it relates to the department that he is associated with. This info is consistent with what is shown on the link that JaMKat13 had posted in this thread, above.

Another possibility is that the 85 million dollar figure largely represents the funds that were committed in the "silent" part of the campaign, before the official kickoff, and the part that was perceived to be lagging is the dollars that were not committed to the campaign prior to the kickoff. I have no clue what the case is, but at least it is NOT a total bust so far. Last year Mrs. OldKat and I were in the position to make, by our standards, a decent sized donation. We hope to do so again next month (can you say Corporate Bonus time?), but don't know yet for sure. Not sure either what the future looks like for further OldKat donations, since I am either going to retire or resign from my company in July. Regardless, we will still do what we can. If any of you have thought about helping advance the cause, but haven't yet done it ... this is an excellent venue & time to do so.
    Last edited by Dr. OldKat; Today at 11:51 AM.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMKat13 View Post
    This deserves to be the first post thread in a sticky thread, so we can keep up with it as they update.

If they are at 85M, is there a plan as to what of the campaign objectives will receive funding first? This may be somewhere already, I just haven’t seen it. And what the threshold is for them to start utilizing the dollars?