Thread: VEQ's Weekend - An unecessarily long rant.

VEQ's Weekend - An unecessarily long rant.

So I've mentioned in a couple of my football threads that this weekend I wasn't at the game because it was Region Choir Weekend. Well I didn't really wanna say much more about it, but I witnessed some utter and total bullshit this weekend that I actually wanted y'all's opinion on. Get an outsider's opinion. Don't worry, my story has nothing to do with music, or choir, but just general common decency. If you want a little backstory, for further context, please read the box below. Otherwise read just the bolded statement and skip to the bottom.

For music competition purposes, the Texas Music Educators Association divides the state into Regions made up of a handful of school districts in a given area that come together to compete against one another in various competitions much like UIL's athletic districts. While 5 or 6 school districts could make up about 3 or 4 UIL districts depending on number of high schools in a district and classification (6A, 5A, etc.), all of those districts would make up one single region, regardless of district size or classification. 6A, 5A and down the line would all compete directly with each other depending on the contest. UIL seems to realign it's athletic districts every few years. Whole decades can go by between TMEA Region re-alignments. This year is the first year of one such realignment, and the first since I was in Middle School about 13 years ago.

Spring ISD, my district of employment, used to be aligned with Region 9 made up of Spring, Klein, Tomball, Conroe/Woodlands, Willis, Huntsville, and possible one more district even further out than Huntsville. Region 19 was located just south of us. Half of Region 19 was split off from that region, but ONLY Spring left Region 9. We combined to form the brand new Region 33. There were only 28 Regions prior to this alignment. The districts we are now aligned with are Aldine, Galina Park, Sheldon, Humble, New Caney and...probably a couple more that I don't even know.

All of them had been together previously along side a few other districts that remained 19, while they came over to join us as 33. Initially we as a Spring district were thrilled to be leaving 9. If you don't know the difference between a typical Spring ISD student and a student attending school in The Woodlands, I don't know what to tell you. We felt it wasn't fair as the schools we would compete with. We felt a level of discrimination against our students. We thought moving to 33 would put us with people more in line with us and our clientele. That was only partially true. We discovered that their way of doing things was vastly different than ours. When we had our first meeting to decide how to structure our region, we were forced into some bad choices that were bad for our kids. We were outvoted by 1 or 2 votes and they got to keep everything exactly the way they were without being willing to listen. We knew it was gonna be a shit storm. If only we knew back last May what we now know today.
    On Friday night, we had a 2 hour rehearsal, followed by a pizza party and dance social for the kids. It's pretty standard stuff. Most Regions do this at the Middle School level. In our previous region, kids were provided 2 slices of pizza and a bottle of water. Once every student was fed, we opened up the flood gates for seconds as we actually had enough pizza for everyone to get 3, but we want everyone to start with 2.

That was NOT the case on Friday. The person in charge of ordering the food, lets call her L, went out of her way to ask Domino's to DOUBLE CUT the pizza. That is, she asked them to cut the pizzas into 16 slices instead of 8. Her justification was the pizza was too expensive and the kids wouldn't know the difference. So instead of getting 2 full slices, our kids were given ONE slice of pizza, cut into 2 to give the illusion that they were getting more food. Our kids were not fooled. Not in the slightest. No one was allowed to go back and get seconds either. Everyone was given one pathetic slice of pizza. Furthermore, they were NOT given a drink. No bottle of water. No can of soda. Nothing.

The host school set up a concession stand where the kids could buy themselves a soda or bottle of water if they wanted. We were told in advanced they would be selling stuff, but it was never made clear to us our kids would not be at least given a water bottle. Our kids had no money to buy drinks. To make matters worse, the other schools all seemed to understand how this whole thing was gonna work as they all had brought their own drinks and snacks so their kids would have stuff, without having to spend money. We had no clue.

So our kids are sitting there hungry after eating their one slice and no drink. I made the choice to go get "myself" a plate of about 4 slices. Well wouldn't you know it. By the time I walked back to my table with my kids, I was just suddenly too full to eat. So I turned the other way as my kids had seconds they were technically not allowed to have.

That's when I noticed that there are TWO FUCKING BOXES OF PIZZA SITTING ON THE TABLE L's KIDS WERE SITTING AT. Well surely that isn't right, so we look over at the table where the person in charge of the region is sitting to say something.....FOUR BOXES. My heart rate is through the roof so I step out of the cafeteria to the water fountain, because, you know, no water bottles. As I walk out, L and her school are leaving, and one of her students is carrying those 2 boxes of pizza with him out the door. I got a picture of it. When my colleague went to go complain to the Region Chair, you know with the 4 boxes herself, her answer was that there were 2 boxes left we could take. We refused.

So here's where I need your opinion. On what planet could you possibly justify giving 12-13 year old middle school kids only 1 slice of pizza, and no drink for dinner? Especially knowing that dinner was served at 7:30 PM, and most all of them ate lunch at their schools between 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM depending no their schedules. Furthermore, what kind of person would have the audacity to think our kids were stupid enough to think 1 slice of pizza cut in half was more than just 1 slice of pizza? The kinda of person who would then take 2 whole boxes of pizza for her own school, that's who.

This wasn't even all the bullshit I had to deal with this weekend, but it was certainly the most enraging. By the time we got to Saturday, I made the decision that I didn't care. I was gonna watch the Kats game on my phone, blatantly, without remorse. I watched the game in the auditorium during rehearsals. I watched it in the dressing rooms while the kids were changing. Chatty's last drive of the game happened while we were lined up about to go on stage. My job was to walk my section onto stage and get them in their performance spots on state. Guess what I did while I was doing that? Watching the game. The curtains were wide open. The audience full of parents was in the auditorium. I was standing on stage facing my section getting them lined up on stage ready to perform. While holding my phone. Watching that 4th and 10 pass sail through the end zone. I did not give a shit. I was fed up with the Region's shit, and if they were gonna force me to be there and not in Huntsville for this shit show, I was gonna watch on ESPN3 by any means necessary. Oh, and despite all that, when various organizers and people commented to me about the job I did this weekend with my responsibilities, they all told me I did a perfect job. So....

So that's my story. That's my weekend. For those of you that actually took the time to read this rant. I thank you. I appreciate it and I would love to hear your thoughts about my weekend. I really am curious to know your thoughts on Friday's pizza fiasco. There's no excuse for that right? She said she did it to save money, that we do have. We are a non-profit organization. Any money in our account must be spent. Apparently they actually bought the pizza at cost. They didn't negotiate the price down. Who the fuck orders pizza at $12 a pop for a 1 topping? Especially when it's a bulk order????

I'm done.

Q out.
    The KingKat99 anointed KatFans SuperFan.
    True Kat's favorite Choir Boy.

SHSU Class of 2013
    Music Education

Season ticket holder since 2013, Bearkat since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. OldKat View Post
    ... I wish to apologize on behalf of veq. I don't know how many times I have told him to QUIT BRINGING LOGIC TO THIS BOARD. It totally tips the world on its axis when he does that ...
    Think I have enough signatures?

2015 KatFans.com Supporter
    I say; Now you know the way the game is played: so it's Fool me once, Shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me.

I suspect, and I am sure you have already considered, that this was NOT an accident. I suspect that it was by design, hungry kids can't perform to their potential. Make sure they stay hungry and their performance can, and probably will, suffer. If that really is what is going on, this is for sure unethical and in my mind damn near criminal. I'd be thinking about back packs full of goodies from home, a cooler with some drinks, whatever.

Takes a small person to treat someone else this way, a really small person to treat a kid this way. Don't let them win ...
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter joechase1's Avatar
    Veq I was a band director and knew people in charge. Very few look at the big picture of all the kids. I think music people are overly competitive and tend to forget that it is all about art that is shared with with those around us. I know you have some great supportive parents. Probably fund raising funds, next time let your kids feast on steak (metaphorically). Sorry this happened. Glad you love your kids enough to be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joechase1 View Post
    Veq I was a band director and knew people in charge. Very few look at the big picture of all the kids. I think music people are overly competitive and tend to forget that it is all about art that is shared with with those around us. I know you have some great supportive parents. Probably fund raising funds, next time let your kids feast on steak (metaphorically). Sorry this happened. Glad you love your kids enough to be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny you mentioned that. My colleague and I took 4 of the 7 kids that made the choir out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner as a reward the week before Thanksgiving. So we actually have fed our kids steak! Of course it came out of our own pockets.

It's my understanding we had the money in the Region's account to provide ample food for everyone without breaking the bank. They just decided to cut corners. It'll all be addressed in our next region meeting. Some big time players in the Houston Choral world have taken notice to our situation and are helping my Spring ISD colleagues take over so we can make some changes for the better.

SHSU Class of 2013
    Music Education

... I wish to apologize on behalf of veq. I don't know how many times I have told him to QUIT BRINGING LOGIC TO THIS BOARD. It totally tips the world on its axis when he does that ...

"L" sounds like a dumbass, a bitch, or both. Don't lower yourself to their level. In the future have a plan B for food/drinks if that is how they are going to handle it. Any way to separate your group from the rest when it comes to funding for the kids' meals?

Quote Originally Posted by rebelkat View Post
    "L" sounds like a dumbass, a bitch, or both. Don't lower yourself to their level. In the future have a plan B for food/drinks if that is how they are going to handle it. Any way to separate your group from the rest when it comes to funding for the kids' meals?
    The problem this time around, is the fact that apparently bringing your own snacks and drinks was something that we were supposed to do but we were never told. We expected what we were used to, not what we got. We had no reason to expect any different than what we were used to. Going forward we are gonna try to vote to include language in our Region Handbook that makes it very clear what the kids do and don't get, and what we are responsible for.

SHSU Class of 2013
    Music Education

So for those of you who took the time to originally read this rant I have an update.

We had our Region meeting this morning to discuss all of this for next year. My high school I feed is going to be the host school.

Guess who was named Concert Organizer??? ME.

So after that bullshit of a weekend and all the ranting I did in this thread about how shitty all of it was, I am now the person in charge of running the entire weekend. I get to put my money where my mouth is and show all those a-holes how it is done.

ADDITIONALLY: One of my original gripes was that the concert happened on a date that resulted in me missing the Chatty game in person and I had to watch on my phone in the moments leading up to the concert.

We were able to successfully vote on having the concert in JANUARY long after the NC game is over with. We do now have the actual physical audition in December. Last year the audition was in October and I had to drive like a maniac to get from the audition to the game that night, but I was able to do both. Now that the audition is in December, unless we are hosting an afternoon playoff game, as long as the game is in the evening, I shouldn't be missing games for work.

SHSU Class of 2013
    Music Education