Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liberty Announces FCS to FBS

2015 KatFans.com Supporter Tripod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KATatonic View Post
    OVC is just as bad as the Southland. Top heavy with a lot of bad teams.
    OVC bad teams > SLC bad teams
    Tripod, 1941-1962
    "The Three-Legged Don Juan of College Hill, a dog whose name may become a Sam Houston State legend"....Dan Rather, 1952

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

My reading of the tea leaves is this:

SH is looking for a new home that matches it's vision for not only the athletic side of the equation, but the academic side as well. I think the push on the engineering and health sciences will propel us into a different level compared to others in the SLC. I don't think DGH thinks the Southland Conference is the best fit for us. We will learn more as the Capital Campaign continues to roll out.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter KATatonic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKat2 View Post
    My reading of the tea leaves is this:

SH is looking for a new home that matches it's vision for not only the athletic side of the equation, but the academic side as well. I think the push on the engineering and health sciences will propel us into a different level compared to others in the SLC. I don't think DGH thinks the Southland Conference is the best fit for us. We will learn more as the Capital Campaign continues to roll out.
    I like the way you think....and I hope you are right.
    "None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else." - Christopher Walken

If we do decide to move up, it will be disastrous. We do not have the facilities, enough fan base and attendance to even remotely make it work. You guys with all these big dreams need to pinch yourself and get a dose of reality. We've been truly blessed to be on a roll with Fritz and Keeler, but the same guy that hired them also hired Whitten. If you don't think we could be back in the toilet in a hurry if certain events broke the wrong way, your kidding yourself. There are lots of things worse than being an annual FCS power and you can start with being a FBS doormat. In addition, where would we get the money to be in one those conferences with schools in remote states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearkat View Post
    If we do decide to move up, it will be disastrous. We do not have the facilities, enough fan base and attendance to even remotely make it work. You guys with all these big dreams need to pinch yourself and get a dose of reality. We've been truly blessed to be on a roll with Fritz and Keeler, but the same guy that hired them also hired Whitten. If you don't think we could be back in the toilet in a hurry if certain events broke the wrong way, your kidding yourself. There are lots of things worse than being an annual FCS power and you can start with being a FBS doormat. In addition, where would we get the money to be in one those conferences with schools in remote states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Changing doesn't necessarily mean moving up to FBS. It could mean moving to another FCS conference. I think a change will come when the inevitable shakeout happens when the Power 5 FBS conferences break away from the rest. I believe you will see a new subdivision that will include the G5 FBS schools and the upper tier FCS. I hope we are included in that.
    "None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else." - Christopher Walken

I think all of our moves to this point facilities wise, athletic budget, adding staff and raising salaries have pointed to the university wanting to maybe make a move if the right fit comes along. But for now I feel they are playing the waiting game. Think about it... all the upgrades that have happened so far have put us in the top tier of the southland if not the fcs. This does not include football and for good reason. I think there is something brewing soon with the p5/G5 and we are being patient with bowers renovations to see where we fit in after that shake up. I gotta believe they see we are rapidly outgrowing the Southland and will position us to make a move when the time comes. I just pray for steady facility upgrades and a couple national championships in football before a move happens

Quote Originally Posted by KATatonic View Post
    Changing doesn't necessarily mean moving up to FBS. It could mean moving to another FCS conference. I think a change will come when the inevitable shakeout happens when the Power 5 FBS conferences break away from the rest. I believe you will see a new subdivision that will include the G5 FBS schools and the upper tier FCS. I hope we are included in that.
    Something like that would make sense because it would likely pull in similarly situated schools in some sort of workable geographic area. In fact, we might pick up Texas State again in that scenario. On a separate note, while we see schools moving up to FBS, I don't recall any which were FBS that have moved back down to FCS. Does anyone have a feel for that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearkat View Post
    Something like that would make sense because it would likely pull in similarly situated schools in some sort of workable geographic area. In fact, we might pick up Texas State again in that scenario. On a separate note, while we see schools moving up to FBS, I don't recall any which were FBS that have moved back down to FCS. Does anyone have a feel for that?
    Idaho is moving down to FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as etexbearkat

December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

I just hope the new subdivision that is created has a real playoff system like the FCS.