Thread: UALR Exploring Football, Marching Band

UALR Exploring Football, Marching Band

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The University of Arkansas at Little Rock announced today plans to conduct a feasibility study to assess whether the university should consider adding a football and marching band program.

The study is a collaboration of UA Little Rock, the City of Little Rock, and the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. UA Little Rock will go through a Request for Proposal (RFP) process to hire a firm to conduct the study, with the city of Little Rock, the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, and UA Little Rock paying equal parts of the study cost. The university will use private funds from the Athletic Department for its share of the expense.

Chancellor Andrew Rogerson and Little Rock Athletic Director Chasse Conque have fielded questions about bringing back a football program since Rogerson joined the university last September. This spring, a group of students presented the chancellor with a petition bearing 1,000 signatures in favor of a football program.

“Since that time, I’ve heard from many other students, alumni, community members, and business leaders who have expressed their interest in a Division I football program in greater Little Rock,” Rogerson said. “As a scientist, I have a high regard for data, so conducting an objective study seems like the right approach to determine if a football program and marching band would be a wise and meaningful addition to the university and our community.”

Full Story

from nothing to Sun Belt Conf. in 3-5 years

Quote Originally Posted by icekat77 View Post
    from nothing to Sun Belt Conf. in 3-5 years
    I don't think they can make it work.

UALR does not fully fund its current sports based on available information. I believe they only fund MBB, WBB, VB and baseball to the fully allowed NCAA scholarship limits. Their other sports, not so much and the results are telling.

The only thing that this could possibly be do is be a "call to action" to people in Little Rock that want "big-time football" to remain in the city. This is the case since Arkansas is "slipping out of town" after playing at least one if not two games there annually for the better part of the last decade.

To quote someone who would know, "So they are either doing a study to prove it isn't feasible. Or they are doing it to set a price tag and they'll hang up and listen to see if anyone will write a check."
    - The Terror -