Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 bearkat football - the season

2017 bearkat football - schedule

Well its finally football time in Texas, the greatest time of the year. Even better, its time for Bearkat Football as fall camp opened last week in preparation for the 2017 opening game versus the Richmond Spiders.

As many of you know, I have done this breakdown of the season and the different positions and players over the years . So with less than 30 days till kickoff vs the Richmond Spiders, why not get started now.....

SCHEDULE

Sunday August 27,2017 Richmond Spiders ESPNU
    Thursday Sept 7, 2017 Prarie View Panthers ESPNU
    Saturday Sept 23, 2017 Nicholls St Colonels
    Saturday Sept 30, 2017 Central Arkansas Bears
    Saturday Oct 7, 2017 Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks
    Saturday Oct 14, 2017 Northwestern St Demons
    Saturday Oct 21, 2017 Lamar Cardinals
    Saturday Oct 28, 2017 Southeastern Louisiana Lions
    Saturday Nov 4, 2017 Incarnate Word Cardinals
    Saturday Nov 11, 2017 Abilene Christian Wildcats
    Saturday Nov 18, 2017 Houston Baptist Huskies

The 2017 schedule shapes up to be a more competitive one in 2017, but one noticeable missing opponent on the schedule is McNeese St, which could hamper the strength of schedule for the potential playoff seedings. The continued unbalanced number of teams in the conference causes scheduling issues every year. But, it is what it is and the Kats have the potential to run the table again, however it appears that could be tougher this year due to much improved programs in the SLC.

Kats open with a tough one when #7 ranked Richmond comes to Bowers Stadium to open the season on national television. We all know what happened when the Kats were on the national stage the last time, but we are not going to discuss that any further as it is in the past. Richmond will enter Bowers with a familiar coach at the helm as Ron Huseman left Chattanooga to take the head coaching job at Richmond. This will be a tough early opponent to open the season as two top 10 teams go at it, but this will also be a great time for this Kat team to make a statement in the FCS early.

After the Richmond game, the Kats will travel to Prarie View for another nationally televised game vs the Panthers on the road. Prarie View opened a new stadium and will be looking to showcase their new facility. Dont look for this game to be a pushover as the Panthers are much improved finishing 2016 with a 7-4 overall and 7-2 in the SWAC. The hope here is that the Kats dont have an emotional let down after the Richmond game and come out flat.

Following the two opening OOC games, the Kats will be off for 15 days before they take on Nicholls St on Sept 23 at Bowers Stadium. Nicholls looks to be much improved after a successful season last year that included a near upset of Georgia.
    Next game will be a potential early season conference championship match up when the Kats travel to Conway, Ark to take on UCA. The Bears begin the season ranked in top 20.

KCK and team will play the remainder of the season without a break with trips to Houston for the annual match up with the Lumberjacks and road games to Southeastern La and Abilene Christian.

MY PREDICTION

10-1, 8-1 SLC

I just think the Kat offense has too much firepower returning and with the focus on elevating the running game, I think this team has a great chance to repeat as conference champions or at least share the title.

I like the Kats chances vs Richmond in the opening game on ESPNU. I think KCK will have his team pumped up with a chip on their shoulder and get an emotional win vs the Spiders to open some eyes across the country. This game will be a chance to quiet the critics and haters for a few weeks or until the end of the season when the playoff brackets are announced.

My fear is that the Prarie View game could be a trap game for the Kats, however, I think the Kat offense will be too much for the Panthers and the Kats start 2-0.
    Next, think this Kats team will play a tough game in Conway, but I have a bad feeling they will come up short as the Bears have something to prove in 2017 after a tough loss in 2016 vs SHSU and a second round exit in the playoffs.

For the remainder of the schedule, I see the Kats getting a strong test from SFA, SE La and Abilene Christian, but ultimately I think the Kats will pull those games out as they march to the FCS playoffs.

Thoughts and comments ?

NEXT UP: QUARTERBACKS
    Last edited by Kat89; 08-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter KATatonic's Avatar
    Nice write-up. I would point out that the PVAMU game isn't really a short week. While it is a Thursday game, there are ten days between the Richmond game and the PVAMU game.
    "None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that youíre carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. Thereís no time for anything else." - Christopher Walken

Quote Originally Posted by KATatonic View Post
    Nice write-up. I would point out that the PVAMU game isn't really a short week. While it is a Thursday game, there are ten days between the Richmond game and the PVAMU game.
    You would be correct. I looked at calendar wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by KATatonic View Post
    It's a short week for PVAMU
    Its not how you start, its how you finiSH.

Looks like gobearkats.com is going to do a position breakdown series now, so i am not going to duplicate what they are doing.

Here's a thought:

Since 49+ points per game domination was not enough to get us a high seed based on SOS. Is it time to consider leaving Briscoe in for for quarters and pushing an all Time FCS scoring record and see if that does the trick? I mean it's his senior season after all. If the defense is better, maybe 50% better, how would a season full of 75-21 scores look to the committee? You know as well as i do, that if Koddler had kept briscoe in for 4 and kept pushing, nearly every game could have hit 70+ easily.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter KATatonic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by millenniumkat View Post
    Here's a thought:

Since 49+ points per game domination was not enough to get us a high seed based on SOS. Is it time to consider leaving Briscoe in for for quarters and pushing an all Time FCS scoring record and see if that does the trick? I mean it's his senior season after all. If the defense is better, maybe 50% better, how would a season full of 75-21 scores look to the committee? You know as well as i do, that if Koddler had kept briscoe in for 4 and kept pushing, nearly every game could have hit 70+ easily.
    Doesn't matter. We could average 100 points per game and the national perception would still be that we are soft and have a weak SOS. We just need to win out to shut everybody up.
    "None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that youíre carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. Thereís no time for anything else." - Christopher Walken

Unless it's a playoff game, leave all starters in and run teams up the flag pole. The rewards outweigh the risks imho. I don't want another 5 seed. If we have to put 100 up on UIW and HBU so be it. Tough titty.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter BamKat's Avatar
    Leave him in and let him break his TD record!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bearkat since 2000

2015 KatFans.com Supporter Tripod's Avatar
    No way we lose to the Bears after routing them last year. If our defense improves, like it appears they have, then we should enter the playoffs at 11-0 again.
    Tripod, 1941-1962
    "The Three-Legged Don Juan of College Hill, a dog whose name may become a Sam Houston State legend"....Dan Rather, 1952

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students