Thread: Kat Shuttle Begins At Sam

The city should partner with the U to start a public bus system that allows students to ride free, paid by a fee in their tuition. That just makes too much sense though...
    If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    ~Bishop Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Acts432Kat View Post
    The city should partner with the U to start a public bus system that allows students to ride free, paid by a fee in their tuition. That just makes too much sense though...
    I think out of necessity the U will expand the system, with or without the city. The city/town has a love-hate relationship with The U...I wouldn't hold out with them partnering with SHS.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter
    So has anyone heard how this system is working? Is anyone actually using it?

We have a "Regional mobility" system that serves the county that I live in and several surrounding counties. Buses, glorified vans actually, run some sort of route between several of the surrounding towns. One of the stops is directly opposite a piece of property that we own and where I spend a fairly large amount of time. In the 4 or 5 years this "free" service has been running to serve the pressing needs of the under-privileged among us, care to guess how many times I have actually seen a rider on this vehicle when it makes this stop?

Well, put it this way; I couldn't count it on one finger, but three would be way too many!
    Last edited by Dr. OldKat; 11-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

Then by definition; it wouldn't be free. There would just be no per trip charge. Not saying yours is a bad idea, I couldn't say. Just that it really wouldn't be "free". Few things really ever are ... free.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. OldKat View Post
    Then by definition; it wouldn't be free. There would just be no per trip charge. Not saying yours is a bad idea, I couldn't say. Just that it really wouldn't be "free". Few things really ever are ... free.
    Fair enough, you are right, the per trip would be free by showing ID card. A suburb of Atlanta uses this system with Emory University, works well. I think Texas A&M has a similar system, could be wrong on that one though. The Houston Galveston Area Council has made it clear Huntsville is in need of a public transit system. Little progress was ever made when I lived there from 2002 to 2012, it was being talked about though in local government circles. Unsure what is now happening, I live in Dallas where we just approved building more underground subway stations downtown and adding to our 96 plus miles of public rail we already have. I love the fact I can keep my Jeep parked and hop a train or a bus anytime. We even have a double decker train with WiFi that commutes back and forth from Dallas to Fort Worth and stopping many places between. Not that Huntsville needs rail or anything to that magnitude, there is a need. It is the 70th poorest county in the US and has a higher than average no car household percentage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    ~Bishop Desmond Tutu

Fair enough, you are right, the per trip would be free by showing ID card. A suburb of Atlanta uses this system with Emory University, works well. I think Texas A&M has a similar system, could be wrong on that one though. The Houston Galveston Area Council has made it clear Huntsville is in need of a public transit system. Little progress was ever made when I lived there from 2002 to 2012, it was being talked about though in local government circles. Unsure what is now happening, I live in Dallas where we just approved building more underground subway stations downtown and adding to our 96 plus miles of public rail we already have. I love the fact I can keep my Jeep parked and hop a train or a bus anytime. We even have a double decker train with WiFi that commutes back and forth from Dallas to Fort Worth and stopping many places between. Not that Huntsville needs rail or anything to that magnitude, there is a need. It is the 70th poorest county in the US and has a higher than average no car household percentage.

Was not aware of that.

No ID needed for the Aggie busses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crazy dude with the custom shoes.