Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bearkat offense

The Bearkat offense

In regards to the offense and some of its struggles, Briscoe is completing 56 percent of his passes this year compared to nearly 63 percent a year ago. I think Yedi not being healthy all year really hurts.

Also, it's been talked to death, but the pass-happy, air-raid stuff we continue to run won't get us to the natty.

Our RBs are averaging unreal yards per attempt:

Avery, Corey 56-384 6.8
    Bulmer, Remus 43-302 6.6
    Brown, Jordan 20-138 6.7
    Webb, Javin 31-138 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    In regards to the offense and some of its struggles, Briscoe is completing 56 percent of his passes this year compared to nearly 63 percent a year ago. I think Yedi not being healthy all year really hurts.

Also, it's been talked to death, but the pass-happy, air-raid stuff we continue to run won't get us to the natty.

Avery, Corey 56-384 6.8
    Bulmer, Remus 43-302 6.6
    Brown, Jordan 20-138 6.7
    Webb, Javin 31-138 4.3
    Good stuff BD.

What I don't understand from our OC is when the run is not working up the middle why aren't we going out on the edges? This past weekend we could not get 2 yards up the middle at times, but we still kept hitting the middle of the defensive line. I believe we are still under utilizing our run game, we have some really good running back's that are not getting enough carries.

2015 KatFans.com Supporter

Avery, Corey 56-384 6.8
    Bulmer, Remus 43-302 6.6
    Brown, Jordan 20-138 6.7
    Webb, Javin 31-138 4.3
    I think we should back off the passing attack; concentrate on letting these hosses run, then when the opponent shifts their focus to stopping Corey, Remus, et. al., THEN we pop 'em with JB and Nathan, Yedi, etc.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

I think the quality of the pass attempts has gone down for many reasons. We seem to be taking a lot more shots downfield (lower percentage) instead of taking the underneath routes more often (higher percentage) and then letting our athletes make a play to pick up some yards. It also seems like Briscoe is taking more chances throwing into coverage this year. That touchdown pass to Davis was into triple coverage on Saturday.

Then we find ourselves in 2nd and 10 after a first down incomplete pass. We can call a run play to make up some of the distance so it is 3rd and manageable but it seems like we don't as often as we should. The defense plays off a little bit more to guard against the pass on 2nd and long but we seem to try to force it in there anyway. If the receiver is open, then great, fire away. If the receivers aren't open Briscoe throws it anyway. I think we need to work more of the underneath routes on 2nd and long. Or if Briscoe would just step up in through the pocket he could pick up 5 or 6 yards on the ground. That doesn't happen as often as it should so we find ourselves in 3rd and 10 and the cycle repeats itself. Except its worse now because Briscoe isn't mobile enough to always pick up 10 yards on a scramble, and the defense is really expecting the pass on 3rd and 10 so they are playing coverage all the way and not even worrying about the run.

When JMU played Norfolk State earlier this year, JMU committed to the run game. The announcers doing the game said JMU wanted to run first. JMU rushed for 472 yards on 65 carries and passed 27 times. Norfolk is a weak team and BEarkats have some upcoming games where they could work on the running game and still win.

reb, I would place fault on the OC and keeler then because you just can't have your college quarterback being a gunslinger with his own green light. Someone needs to reel in that stuff.

reb, I would place fault on the OC and keeler then because you just can't have your college quarterback being a gunslinger with his own green light. Someone needs to reel in that stuff.
    Agreed. I would also add that if we went to the quicker passes it would keep the pass rushers from teeing off on Briscoe and help our overall offensive rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelkat View Post
    Agreed. I would also add that if we went to the quicker passes it would keep the pass rushers from teeing off on Briscoe and help our overall offensive rhythm.
    that's where we are missing yedi

The Bearkat offense

We didn't really throw the deep ball much at all vs SFA. Which is where the concern about Briscoes arm health start to seem credible. But then again it's hard to throw it deep vs 8 man coverage.

It is what it is. We haven't played our best in two games away from Bowers. Let's see what a little home cooking for two straight weeks will do.

Eat em up.
    Its not how you start, its how you finiSH.

Briscoe is throwing off his back foot every pass play and the oline (according to Keeler is the best he had since being here) couldn't block me on the way to the fridge. SFA had 3 pass rushers and 8 in the passing lanes and our oline was getting stomped. Run the ball, run the ball, run the god damn ball and the passing lanes will open. What our problem is our OC cannot adjust his game plan on the fly when the other team is doing something different than the game film he watched.