Thread: North rules FCS / South rules FBS

2015 KatFans.com Supporter Tripod's Avatar

North rules FCS / South rules FBS

Anyone know why FBS teams from south rule FBS, while FCS teams from north rule FCS?
    Tripod, 1941-1962
    "The Three-Legged Don Juan of College Hill, a dog whose name may become a Sam Houston State legend"....Dan Rather, 1952

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

OU has as many FBS tranfers as we do. Hahahaha
    Tripod, 1941-1962
    "The Three-Legged Don Juan of College Hill, a dog whose name may become a Sam Houston State legend"....Dan Rather, 1952

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

I wonder if our defense played like OU defense
    Last edited by Tripod; 01-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Tripod, 1941-1962

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

I wonder if our defense is watching this OU game
    Tripod, 1941-1962

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

2015 KatFans.com Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    Anyone know why FBS teams from south rule FBS, while FCS teams from north rule FCS?
    Start here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...illinois-state
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. OldKat View Post
    Nothing further beyond this needs to be said.
    The KingKat99 anointed KatFans SuperFan.
    True Kat's favorite Choir Boy.

SHSU Class of 2013
    Music Education

Season ticket holder since 2013, Bearkat since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. OldKat View Post
    ... I wish to apologize on behalf of veq. I don't know how many times I have told him to QUIT BRINGING LOGIC TO THIS BOARD. It totally tips the world on its axis when he does that ...
    Think I have enough signatures?

Quote Originally Posted by vequintana View Post
    Nothing further beyond this needs to be said.
    If this is true, then why isn't Keeler and Co recruiting in the North??
    Tripod, 1941-1962

Beloved Mascot
    Loyal Supporter
    Friend of Students

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    If this is true, then why isn't Keeler and Co recruiting in the North??
    Somewhere and I have been trying like hell to find it, is another sbnation article on recruiting (specifically how NDSU recruits), which talks about the TYPE of player that NDSU looks for & not so much WHERE they come from. The long and short of it, according to their former coach (Craig Bohl) is they look for the player with a bit of a hard edge to him. That is where he made the statement that went something like; "The small town / farm kid that has a big old western belt buckle and drives an old farm truck, but doesn't mind taking a hit and likes to dish them out too". That was probably badly paraphrased, but that was the gist of it. These kids play a smash mouth, physical brand of football growing up, so banging their head into another kid twenty times a game is no big deal. That is NOT what kids in Texas grow up playing. At least not from the areas where we recruit. It is now mostly spread offense, 7 on 7, almost a flag football type of game down here. Hard physical contact is rare and frankly, it is pretty obvious that most of them want no part of it.

After this years semi-final collapse one of the Bison posters came on here and pointed out that on our first offensive drive of the game our O was physical and was attempting to impose their will on the Bison. He said the Bison were being physical right back and it was a pretty evenly matched series. He then said, that as the game progressed and the Bison got even more physical, the Kats wanted no part of it. I finally got a chance to watch that game and while there wasn't a lot of it where you could see the individual one on one battles, what few I could see were pretty much what the Bison poster said. That is also what I have seen of SHSU football over the past several years; WE ARE NOT A PHYSICAL TEAM. People on here seemed to get all bent out of shape when other fan bases called us Soft Houston State, but really we are a finesse team, that gets away with being soft because what we do is good enough to beat MOST teams. Only when we play the elite, hard nosed, physical teams do we get exposed. I have a feeling if we continue to recruit the type of player that we have been recruiting we are going to get the same ultimate end result.
    Last edited by Dr. OldKat; 01-03-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    “I think it’s important to understand that you can’t have 100 percent security and then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience. We’re going to have to make some choices as a society,” Barrack Obama June 7, 2013

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin in 1755 in a letter on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the colonial governor.

I think I found the one you were talking about.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ffense-defense

Quote Originally Posted by weber2123 View Post
    I think I found the one you were talking about.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ffense-defense
    Just glancing through it, I think you are correct. Been awhile since I read it, but it seems to hit the points I remember him hitting; even if it isn't the exact same article. I think it probably is though.